What is an essential oil 'Solution'?
If you're a fan of essential oils you might have noticed something new in recent years: essential oil "solutions". In eucalyptus, lavender or tea tree, these products are sold where you'd normally find essential oils, but they're likely to be in larger bottles and they're cheaper. What's the deal?
What is a solution?
A solution is a unique formula of essential oils which dissolves easily in water. Although not as potent as pure essential oils, they have different advantages.
Solution = dissolves easily in water
Ever heard the saying "like oil and water"? 100% essential oils when added to water, sit on top of the surface and "bead". Unless aggitated or a detergent of some kind is added, it won't mix in.
In the case of Solutions, there's a built in solubility, so the minute you pour it into water it mixes right through, infusing the water with the botanical essence. The evenly dispersed essential oils allow for a more consistent aroma and application. Essential oil solutions are especially useful for water-based therapies or cleaning tasks around the home.
Here are just some of the uses:
- Antiseptic: Dab on minor cuts and scratches to help clean and remove germs
- Mop floors: Add 2-4 capfuls to your mop bucket to kill germs and leave floors aromatic and sparkling.
- General cleaning: No need for mixing or diluting, it's easy as pie with Solutions - you can wet your cloth and use straight out of the bottle. Or splash some into a small container or bucket with some water and use your a portable cleaning mixture to wipe down benchtops, microwaves, fridges, bathroom surfaces etc.
- Laundry: Add 2-4 capfuls to the laundry wash to freshen, deodorise and kill germs.
(Note: All three solutions are great for laundry: Eucalyptus for all-round freshening, Tea Tree Solution as an antibacterial & antifungal, and Lavender for aromatic bed linen and bath towels.)
Tea Tree Solution
- Wound care: Apply as an antiseptic to minor cuts and scratches.
- Insect bites: Helps relieve the itch & prevent infection
- Foot care: Helps combat fungal infections – dab directly on affected area or add a capful or two to a foot bath.
- Calming: Add a few drops onto your pillow or a tissue before sleep and inhale the calming aroma.
- Relaxation: Dab directly on temples, or add 3 capfuls to the bath to help relax and wind down at night.
- Freshen toilet: Add 2 capfuls to toilet, leave five minutes then flush to clean & deodorise
Solutions are a budget friendly option which still do most things you'd ask of traditional oils, but with a more subtle aroma. A bonus? You can splash it around a bit and not have to worry about measuring out tiny drops.
So the next time you're looking for an essential oil for a task, consider Solutions - especially if you're using water!
Want to know more about Solutions, and where to find them?
Read about the uses for our Lavender Solution here.
Bosisto's Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and Lavender Solutions can be found at Chemist Warehouse, select pharmacies and in the medicinal aisle of selected supermarkets. See product links above for individual stockists.