DIY Natural Bug Repellent Spray
With the weather warming up, it's getting to the season of 'b's' - barbecues, bathers and bugs.
If you're not a fan of the chemical scent of commercial insect repellents, or feel uneasy about applying them to your kids, here's a natural alternative you can try.
Homemade Bug Spray
Up to 100 drops of essential oils (eucalyptus, citronella & lavender oil are the most well known for their insect repellent properties)
1 Tbsp vodka or rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol, available at chemists)
1/2 cup natural Witch Hazel
1/2 cup vinegar or water
1 tsp vegetable glycerin (optional)
How to make it:
- Place essental oils in a glass or amber PET spray bottle.
- Add vodka or alcohol and swirl to combine.
- Pour in witch hazel and carefully shake to combine.
- Add water or vinegar and shake again.
- Replace trigger and it's ready to use. (Note: give it a shake before each use to ensure the ingredients are well combined)
Use as necessary. If new to essential oils or have sensitive skin, test a small patch of skin first. Discontinue use if any irritation occurs.
It's handy to keep by the back door for easy application, or pack in your camping or hiking kit.!