DIY Thursday: DIY post-wax body butter
25 Nov 2014
This nourishing DIY body cream is a post-wax or post-shave essential
You don’t have to be a hippie to make your own skin and body care products. Many people just prefer knowing what’s going into - and onto - their bodies, and enjoy getting creative with natural ingredients. Not forgetting all the money it saves (after you set yourself up with a few basics).
Whatever the reason, if you’ve been keen to try DIY skin care why not give this one a go?
Bare leg season is quickly approaching and this nourishing body cream is a post-wax or post-shave essential. It includes tea tree oil, which has antibacterial properties and helps prevent infection and ingrown hairs. If your skin is prone to redness and irritation you can also add lavender oil for its anti-inflammatory properties. For more great leg tips, see below.
DIY Post-Wax Body Butter
Note: you can buy these ingredients at online beauty supplies shops such as http://www.n-essentials.com.au/, or try healthfood shops or Chemist Warehouse. The vitamin E is optional but it does help act as a preservative to keep the oils fresher longer.
½ cup unrefined shea butter
½ cup unrefined mango butter (or any other body butter, or more shea butter)
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup body oil of choice (almond, rosehip, grapeseed, olive)
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder or corn starch
1 tsp vitamin E
20-40 drops or ½-1 capful Bosisto’s Tea Tree Oil
1. Combine the butters and coconut oil in a double boiler, or using a glass or pyrex bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, and melt.
2. Once mixture has completely melted start a timer for 20 minutes and let the butters stay at the melted temperature until the timer beeps.
3. After 20 minutes, remove from heat and pour into a bowl to cool quickly in an ice bath (larger bowl underneath filled with ice and water to help the bowl above it cool rapidly).
4. In a separate, smaller container combine liquid oils, vitamin E and arrowroot powder. It’s easiest to combine the arrowroot powder into the oil with a fork.
5. When it looks like the butter in the ice bath is half way hardened (there is still a small pool of liquid on top), pour in the liquid oil/arrowroot powder concoction and take out an electric hand mixer (one with a whisk attachment works best) or blender.
6. Blend/whisk until there are no chunks of hardened butter left. (Tip: take a spoon and chip away at the bottom pieces first so it’s easier to blend).
7. If you added the liquid oils too soon and it’s still not solid enough to pour into your containers, put the bowl of body butter mixture back onto the ice bath for a minute or two then blend it there in the ice bath.
8. Add Bosisto’s Tea Tree Oil and mix well.
9. Spoon butter into containers (a large, screw top jar or plastic container is perfect, as long as you can easily access with fingers to scoop), label and leave overnight – the butter will achieve its true consistency overnight.
Smooth Post-wax Legs for Longer? Your ‘Essential’ Guide.
Before your wax:
•Drink lots of water prior to your waxing appointment to make sure you are hydrated. Dehydrated skin tightens pores and causes a tug of war between those pesky hairs and the wax.
•Avoid stimulants like alcohol and caffeine, as they can increase sensitivity.
•If you have a low pain tolerance, you can take a paracetamol or ibuprofen about 45 minutes prior to help with discomfort.
•Exfoliate gently and regularly to prevent ingrown hairs.
•Avoid using perfumed lotions. Instead, keep skin soft and bacteria-free with our body butter (above) or try 1 part tea tree oil to 20 parts grapeseed oil (add a little aloe vera gel too if you prefer).
•Spot-treat any annoying breakouts or ingrown hairs with direct application of neat 100% tea tree oil, to kill bacteria and assist healing.
PS. Do you DIY and need some help with messy post-wax cleanup? Bosisto's Eucalyptus Oil or Spray are perfect for this purpose, with the oil’s natural ability to dissolve gluey bonds helping easily remove stubborn bits of leftover wax from skin, clothes and household surfaces. Plus, it covers any burnt wax smells beautifully!